Game Recaps

Texas Tops Peoria in Wild Overtime Affair


Phil McRae scored three times for the Rivermen, and both teams scored three power-play goals, as the Texas Stars topped the Peoria Rivermen 6-5 in overtime Saturday night at Cedar Park Center.  With the Stars on the man-advantage in the extra session, Matt Fraser one-timed home his second goal of the night to earn the game-winner.  




The first 20 minutes of play saw a total of eight goals, four from each team. Texas’s Travis Morrin opened the scoring just 34 seconds into the game on his second of the year. He converted on a feed at the side of the goal from Fraser and fired it past Jake Allen on the game’s opening shift.  Mark Cundari had the answer for the Rivermen tallying his first of the year on a one-timer in the slot from T.J. Hensick at the 2:28 mark.


The Stars regained the lead on a power-play goal from Raymond Sawada at 5:13 and extended their lead on Luke Gazdic’s second of the year just 1:15 later.  The Rivermen responded with three unanswered goals of their own, two of which came on the man-advantage.


McRae intercepted a pass meant for Jay Barriball and then beat Richard Bachman blocker side as he was trying to slide back into position. Adam Cracknell and Cundari picked up the assists on the power-play goal at 14:15.  Peoria found themselves on the power play again 2 minutes later and were able to convert. Hensick sent a pass through the crease to Derek Nesbitt who slammed home his first goal of the year.


McRae gave the Rivermen the lead on his second of the game by banking the puck off Bachman from behind the goal line with just over a minute remaining in the first.  But again it was Fraser with the answer as he tied the game with 44 seconds left in the first.


Peoria registered four goals on 16 shots in the first period while the Stars scored four times on just nine shots.


Texas took the lead for the third time of game on their second chance on the power play with Dan Spang’s second of the year from Philip Larsen and Bachman at the 11:55 mark of the middle period. Ben Bishop replaced Allen following the goal.  Allen finished with five goals-against on 16 shots in 31:55.


McRae tied the game at 5-5 with his third of the game and second power-play goal at 10:26 of the third period. This goal came on a 5-on-3 advantage and deflected in off his leg following a shot from Danny Syvret. It was McRae’s first career AHL multi-goal effort and his three points also set a new career high.


In overtime, with Brett Sterling in the box for high sticking, Fraser, who played two games for Peoria during the 2009-10 season, was able to put a shot by Bishop 2:00 into the extra session to end the game.


Bishop allowed just the one goal on 12 shots and was assessed the loss in relief.  The Rivermen outshot the Stars 39-28 in the game and went 3-for-7 on the power play. The Stars finished the game going 3-for-4 on the man advantage.


Following the final goal, a scrum at center-ice involving nearly every player took place.  Stefan Della Rovere was assessed a match penalty and a game misconduct while both Fraser and Luke Gazdic were also issues game misconducts. 


The two teams will face each other again on Thursday at Carver Arena.


After a 1-1-1-1 road trip, the Rivermen return home Sunday night to face the Chicago Wolves at 7:00 p.m.  For tickets call (309) 676-1040 or visit