Game Recaps

IceHogs Score Four in Third for 7-3 Win


After capturing two separate leads, the Peoria Rivermen allowed four third period goals by the Rockford IceHogs in a 7-3 loss in front of 3,222 at the BMO Harris Bank Center on Friday night.  The loss was the most lopsided of the season as Peoria has now dropped three straight in regulation for the first time this year.




For the fifth time in six games against Rockford, the Rivermen scored the game’s first goal early in the first period. Phil McRae sent a slap shot past Alexander Salak from the right circle just 33 seconds into the game to give Peoria a 1-0 lead.


Rookie defenseman Brett Ponich registered his first point just 10 minutes later when he assisted Peoria’s second goal. Ponich sent a puck towards the net which Brett Sonne gathered and scored on a backhanded effort. The goal was Sonne’s fourth of the year, just one shy of his total last season in 62 games played.


With Sonne in the box for hooking, Rockford cut their deficit to one. Peoria failed to clear the puck before Peter LeBlanc fired a shot over Bishop’s glove from the hashmarks at 15:47 in the first period.


Brandon Pirri evened the score at 19:30 in the first period when he tallied Rockford’s second goal. Andrew Shaw sent a pass from the right wing boards to the near circle for Pirri who scored on a wrister past Bishop’s glove.


The Rivermen regained the lead, this time 3-2, on a power-play goal at 11:27 in the second period. While Peoria was set up in the Rockford zone, Shaun Heshka fired a slap shot from the blueline through traffic and in. The goal was Heshka’s first in four games with Peoria since being acquired in a trade last week.


Rockford once again scored a last-minute goal to tie the game at 19:33 in the second period. Ryan Stanton and Brian Connelly worked the puck into the offensive zone before dishing to Brandon Segal along the right boards. Segal sent a slap shot between Bishop’s arm and body which tied the game 3-3.


The IceHogs captured a 4-3 lead – their first of the game – at 8:44 in the third period. With the Rivermen defense positioned behind the net, Brian Fahey scored his first goal of the season on a wrist shot from between the hashmarks.


LeBlanc added to the Rockford lead just 67 seconds later on a backhanded tip-in from the right edge of the crease.


The ‘Hogs extended their lead to three at 13:11 in the third period on Pirri’s second goal of the evening. Rostislav Olesz fired a shot on Bishop before Pirri gathered the rebound and scored past Bishop’s left pad.  Shaw scored the game’s final goal at 17:48 in the third period on an empty net.


The Rivermen finished the game 1-for-5 on the power play while the IceHogs were 1-for-3. Bishop stopped 28 of 34 shots on goal while Salak made 24 saves.


The Rivermen continue their road trip on Saturday in Chicago at 7:00 p.m. All games can be heard on CD Country 107.9 FM or online through