Game Recaps

Dov Grumet-Morris Steals One for Rampage


Dov Grumet-Morris made 21 saves in the third period alone, 49 in all and four more in the shootout as the San Antonio Rampage stole a 4-3 win away from Peoria on Saturday night at Carver Arena. Played in front of a season-high 8,034, the earned a point for the third straight game as they are 2-0-0-1 to start their six game homestand.




Rivermen set a season-high in shots with 52 and came within one of their AHL franchise record that was set back on Feb. 21, 2006 vs. San Antonio.  Derek Nesbitt led the way offensively for Peoria with 11 shots on goal and two of the three Rivermen goals. Cade Fairchild also chipped in two assists.


Andrew Murray accounted for the only goal of the first period as he redirected a Fairchild pass from the low-slot. It was the ninth of the year for Murray and marked Peoria's only power-play goal of the game on four chances.


In the second period, San Antonio scored twice in a five-minute stretch to claim a 2-1 lead. Jared Gomes tied the game at 7:19 by ripping a shot over the glove of Mike McKenna. Then at 12:19, on the power play, Zach Hamil deflected Brian O'Hanley's shot into the back of the net for his first of two on the night.


Peoria's response came in the form of Nesbitt's 17th of the season just 1:32 later. Moments after being robbed by Grumet-Morris, Nesbitt deflected in a shot from the point through the netminder to knot the game. Fairchild and Chris Porter assisted on the goal.


Despite the Rivermen controlling play in the third period, Hamil gave the Rampage a lead with 11:06 remaining in regulation. He stepped into a shot in the high-slot and blasted it past McKenna for his second of the night.


Nesbitt tied the game once again, this time with 8:51 left. Racing ahead with a 2-on-1, T.J. Hensick slid a pass right into the crease for Nesbitt to tap in. It was the 32nd assist of the season which ties him for the AHL-lead in assists.


The Rivermen had a chance to win it on the power play for the final 1:20 of regulation and the opening 40 seconds of overtime but Grumet-Morris collected the saves.


In the shootout, Grumet-Morris stopped all four Rivermen shooters while McKenna was beaten twice on three shootout attempts. It was the first time this season that McKenna dropped a shootout, having stopped 16 of 17 shooters coming into the game.


The Rivermen continue their six-game home stand on Wednesday in Carver Arena against the Rockford IceHogs at 7:05 p.m. For tickets or more information call 309-676-1040.