Game Recaps

Bishop and Rivermen Hold Off Milwaukee, 3-2 to Earn First Win

October 10, 2010

The Peoria Rivermen scored three goals in a 2:58 span of the first period and Ben Bishop made them stand up, collecting 36 saves en route to a 3-2 win over the Milwaukee Admirals on Sunday afternoon at Carver Arena. Rookie center Phil McRae picked up the first two points of his professional career with a goal and an assist while defenseman Nathan Oystrick added his first pair of points, with a goal and an assist, in a Rivermen jersey.




Penalties came in bunches for Peoria in the first period. Their first power-play was cut short with a minor penalty that turned into a 5-on-3 just 3:56 into the game. Before either of those penalties had expired, Dean Arsene was whistled for a minor and created a brief, but second 5-on-3 power play. When all was said and done the Rivermen had killed off 1:51 of 5-on-3 and 4:09 of continuous power-play time for Milwaukee.


Luckily for Peoria, their goals came in bunches in the first period as well. The Rivermen struck first on a McRae marker at 13:49. Stefan Della Rovere fluttered a saucer pass from the half-wall to Mark Cundari in the slot who fed McRae at the bottom of the right circle. McRae patiently waited, then faked a shot to Admiral goaltender Chet Pickard’s left which opened the five-hole enough for McRae to slide it through.


It only took 43 seconds for the Rivermen to put another puck by Pickard. After receiving a pass from Brennan Evans, Nathan Oystrick blasted a low slapper off Pickard’s pad that Chris Porter gathered up and backhanded home along the ice.


The onslaught of goals from the Rivermen continued on the power-play when Oystrick’s one-time slapshot found the back of the net. T.J. Hensick and McRae added helpers on the power-play tally. Bishop made 15 of his 36 saves in the opening period.


At the start of the second period Milwaukee replaced Pickard with Mark Dekanich who stopped all 17 Rivermen shots he faced.


Milwaukee registered their first goal on the power play at 3:12 of the second frame. Kelsey Wilson slapped in his own rebound, for his first of the year. Mark Van Guilder and Grant Lewis tallied assists on the lone goal of the second period.


Play remained steady for the first 15 minutes of the third until Milwaukee slammed one in at 16:47 bringing the Admirals within one. Andreas Thuresson got the goal by poking home a loose puck in the midst of a giant scrum in front of Bishop.


Milwaukee called a timeout with a 1:30 allowing them to talk things over. The Rivermen defense came up big blocking multiple shots for Bishop after the timeout in the last minute, and Bishop did the rest by keeping the puck out of the net for the win.


The Admiral power play finished at 2-for-7 and the Rivermen went 1-for-5 on the man-advantage.

The three goals in the first period proved to be enough for the Rivermen despite being outshot 38-28 in the game.


The Rivermen play the final game of their three-game homestand against Rockford on Tuesday at 7:05 p.m. All-you-can-eat-seats are available for Tuesday’s game for just $16. Full-season, partial and mini ticket plans are all on sale. For more information visit, call 309-676-1040 or stop by the Rivermen office inside the Peoria Civic Center.