Game Recaps

Rivermen Storm Back in Third; Win 4-3 in Shootout


The Peoria Rivermen entered the third period on Wednesday trailing 3-0, but left on top completing a third period comeback with a shootout victory 4-3 over the Milwaukee Admirals at the Bradley Center. T.J. Hensick sparked the comeback with a shorthanded goal and power-play goal, while Chris Porter sealed it for the Rivermen with a goal in the sixth round of the shootout.


Ben Bishop made 39 saves in regulation and overtime and stopped five of six shooters in the shootout for his 14th win of the year.  The win was Peoria’s 30th of the season and pushed their record to 30-18-2-2 (64 points) and kept them just two points back of first-place Houston. 




The Admirals controlled the opening period leading the Rivermen in shots, 18-11, and on the scoreboard, 2-0, after 20 minutes of play. With four players aside for each squad, Chris Mueller received a pass from Gabriel Bourque at the top of the left circle and snapped a one-timer through the legs of Bishop for his 14th of the year at 5:16.


Milwaukee also converted on the power play at 12:27 when Blake Geoffrion made a cross ice pass from the left corner up to Roman Josi at the right point who drifted down to the top of the circle and let a wrist shot go that was tipped in by Ryan Thang for his eighth of the year.


The Admirals power play did not disappear in the middle frame either when Josi notched his sixth of the year on the man advantage at 11:03. Jonathon Blum started the play from the middle of the ice at the blue line and made a pass to Linus Klasen at the top of the left circle. Klasen made a pass through the slot to Josi at the bottom of the right circle and Josi one-timed a shot up high over a sliding Bishop.


Derek Peltier’s first goal of the year put the Rivermen on the board just 1:10 into the third period.  Peltier, from along the wall in the Milwaukee zone, threw the puck to the front and it hit a defender’s stick and found its way to the back of the net.


Hensick made it a 3-2 game just 2:20 later with his first short-handed goal of the year which extended his point streak to a season-high eight games. Hensick broke out of the zone with the puck and Dave Spina to his left. The puck never left Hensick’s stick until he let a wrist shot go short side high over Dekanich’s glove for his 15th of the year.


The Rivermen tied the game at three and sent the game to overtime when Hensick beat Dekanich with a wrist shot from the top of the left circle for his team leading 16th of the year and second of the game on the man advantage with 1:52 remaining.


The Rivermen killed off a 4-on-3 for 1:40 at the start of the OT and held the Admirals scoreless in an offensive overtime session where the two teams combined for 11 shots.


With the shootout tied at one and Peoria with the chance to win, Porter came straight down the slot on Dekanich and wristed one low blocker side for the game winner on his first shootout attempt of the year.


It was the second time that Peoria was able to come back and force overtime against Milwaukee when down by three or more goals this season. The Rivermen were down 4-0 late in the second and 4-1 heading into the third on Dec. 5th at Carver Arena and tied the game to force overtime.


The Rivermen return home on Friday for a game against the red-hot Houston Aeros at 7:05 p.m. For tickets call the Rivermen office at (309) 676-1040 or visit